Thursday, November 13, 2008

Election Day, Not a Gay Day

For many, Tues Nov 4th was a historic day. A barrier that held firm for over 230 years was not simply pushed aside it was kicked open and knocked down. In January Barack Obama will enter the white house as the first African American president. A day many thought would never come. A nation overcame real as well as perceived prejudice and did what only a couple of decades ago were thought impossible. We, as a country, have come a long way but, we still have some way to go. In 12 states anti gay marriage bans were either upheld or instituted. The voters determined that marriage must be defined as a union between a man and a woman. In many of those 12 states activist are already looking to overturn or prevent the implementation of those initiatives.

Prior to this entry I thought of creating another blog to post this. I thought it may save me from a few anticipated headaches. Those headaches I fear will be courtesy of my own relatives. Not all of them, but some. I wish to be clear here. I am not “pro” gay marriage just as I am not “pro” heterosexual marriage. My position is simply that it is not any of my business. I can understand a church being opposed or that same church refusing to marry a gay couple because it views homosexuality as a sin. I would not be in favor of any church being forced to change their beliefs or to marry any couple it chooses not to.

However, a State is not a church. A State has an obligation to make sure that one is not discriminated against. If a State cannot do that, how will the State protect any of us? Well, the critics say what is to prevent a man from marrying a dog, or a monkey? If you say marriage does not have to be defined as an act between a man and woman, well anything is possible. Now I am aware of some couples, heterosexual mind you, that in retrospect a dog or a monkey may have been the better choice. But I think the term “consenting adults” would prevent that from happening.

I understand that one can point to the bible and say that it is a sin and that is why it must not be allowed. It is the same bible that good honorable men of the south also pointed to in their attempt to justify slavery. I am not equating slavery and gay marriage I am just making an observation. I will however, close with this. In discussing slavery the future president Abraham Lincoln said “I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone”

So let us try that when it comes to gay marriage. Let us leave them alone..

No comments: