Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Little Rain Will Fall

My sister and I chatted as we made our way up to Meriden NH. While the final destination is the goal sometimes its the trip to the destination that is the most enjoyable. We chatted as we waited for the sky's to open or the sun to finally break through. For a moment it looked like it would do this then it looked like it would do that. Despite the back and forth struggle between the sun and clouds we both hoped for the best.

It was, in its own way, a bit like this past election. She was a McCain voter and I cast my ballot for Obama. She had her reasons as I had mine. In fact I found myself nodding in agreement on occasion and I think I presented enough of a case for her to wonder about her vote. The one thing we have in common is in the end, just like we do for weather, we hope for the best.

Isn't that the way it should be in this country? That in the end, no matter the outcome you hope the new President is successful. If he is successful, isn't that best for all of us? This of course excludes the Jay Severins of the world who thrive on spewing hate. He masks it by speaking to his audience of the "best and brightest". This way if you disagree or have a different opinion you are immediately discounted as not being able to understand the issues because after all, you are not among the "best and brightest". The good news in Severin's case is this; I believe that by President-elect Obama's inauguration he will be sitting in rubber room heavily medicated. In his words that, would be sweet.

However for the rest of us, no matter our vote, we hope for the best. Perhaps Obama's first term will be like today's weather. Some sun, some rain, but in the end, not a bad day at all.

No comments: